December 7, 2009

Dear Santa Claus

Lately everyone has been speaking of their favorite Christmas memories and traditions, and I can't help but have one that keeps coming back to me time and time again. Every year on the Night Before Christmas my parents would come up to either my sister or I's bedroom and we would read "The Night Before Christmas" as a family. Our version of the book is what made this memory so special...

In 1988 Hallmark produced a pop-up storybook of the famous "Night Before Christmas" story. Each page had a new suprise! A little basket where you could lift the lid to see the sleeping mice, Santa's sleigh in all it's glory flying through the aky, a jolly old St. Nick laying his finger beside his nose and disappearing up the chimney with one pull on the tab. After a few years we stopped reading it as a family, but I would still went to the coffee table and opened it every Christmas Eve to read it while flipping each flap and slowly unfolding each page. The story came alive for me in that pop-up book and I have been looking desperately to try and find my very own copy. Sadly, this particular book is now a collectors item and hard to come by. They re-released it in 2000, but it's not laid out the same with ribbon in the front to close it up tight.



Please Santa, bring me a little Christmas magic and help me find this special story. I would be ever so thankful, treasure it always and share it with my own children some day. Snuggled deep under the covers we would read the story as a family.
~xoxo~
Jenni

13 comments:

carrie1 said...

OMG... It's snowing.. on my computer! =) I love it considering we NEVER get snow here in VA. =(

Marian said...

Um, no lie, we do the exact same thing EVERY year. And I think I even commented on someone's blog with this being our tradition. And, I kid you not, we use a very similar book. It may be the 1970's version of the pop-up book only because the pages look a little different (and older). Loves it!!!

kimbirdy said...

What a lovely tradition! And I think I'll take your advice and try a little Muppet Christmas movie tonight. :)

Unknown said...

is it sad that i dont know this story? i've heard of it but don't actually know what its about! haha! ;P

Lauren @The Little Things We Do.... said...

i hope you find one!

{andthisiswhatshesaid} said...

Cute. I want one too!!

bananas. said...

you and your family are like a christmas movie or something. that tradition is so cute! i hope you get. have you checked ebay? you can find almost everything but you gotta keep checking.

Anonymous said...

jenni! i remember this book! my grandma used to read it to us every year! it is the exact same one! i wonder if she still has it...aww such good memories. i hope you find it!! i'll keep my eye out for ya!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

That is so lovely! We had a Night Before Christmas Tradition too! A few years back my Mom my sis and I each a copy of the exact version that she used to read to us. I can't wait to read it to the dude this year!

marta said...

congratulations, you've won the calendar on my blog today. hip hip hooray. please email me your shipping address.

happy holidays!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I've seen those bacon caramels! They are safely tucked away in my favorites folder. I'm just waiting for the opportune moment to bake them (read: when I'm not the only one around to eat them all). yuuuum!

Amber said...

I have this book and LOVE it!! It is so magical!!

sj said...

I TOTALLY have this copy! I love it, too!