December 22, 2010

Lucky

A reflection on the last year... My inspiration.
Tonight I am sitting on my couch, watching Holiday movies and cuddling with my puppies. It's amazing to me how lucky I feel. A year ago I thought I knew exactly where my life was going. I was in graduate school, I worked in a job that I may not have loved but paid the bills, I had purchased a home with my best friend and we had two little puppies prancing around the Christmas tree. 3 days later I was engaged to the love of my life! 
Everything was wonderful, and it was shaping up to be an amazing year.  Then in March everything changed. I became one of thousands to be laid off. I was devastated. I saw myself as a failure, I had let down our family. How would we afford the upcoming wedding? How were we going to feed the puppies? It was a painful time of realization that things don't always go according to plan...
I had to decide whether I was going to let it get the best of me, or let it change me for the better. I began looking for work, I continued going to classes and I started thinking about what I really want in life. I started to see that maybe me being laid off was a good thing. I had hated going to work everyday, hated the way I was talked down to, and this was giving me an opportunity to forge a new path. I spent time exploring who I wanted to be. I played outside with the puppies in the summer sun, I started reading as many books as I could, I applied for MANY jobs and in June I got a gym membership. Hitting the gym, getting in shape and planning the wedding became my job. I loved it. I loved the feeling of making things happen. With each pound I lost, or RSVP I received everything just seemed so much brighter. I went on a few interviews, and each one made me more confident of my abilities and what I had to offer. Sure, I've had my doubts. I've had the moments when everything seemed heavy, the days I wanted to just stay on the couch and cry... but through it all I always told myself I was lucky. It was that thought which got me through the dark points. I was lucky. I was still young. I had a B.S. in Photography and was halfway toward a Masters degree in MarComm. I wasn't one of the thousands without a furthered education, who had been in the same job for 20 years and didn't know anything else. Spencer was there for me, I wasn't alone. We didn't have to drastically change our lives or sell our home. I was Lucky. 
In a few weeks I will be heading on a plane ride for an interview. Never have I felt more excited about anything career related. The entire process with this company has been amazing. They have doted on me, praised my talents and guided me in the process as they have learned more about me, and I about them. I feel like it's an absolute dream. THIS is what getting a job should feel like. Every other interview I've gone on has felt different. The way employers speak to me is as if I should be lucky to be in their presence, they stress the fact that there are other candidates and won't tell me anything up-front about salary, hours or benefits. It's like a bad blind date where you do all the talking. There should be some give and take! I didn't even know it could be like this, and I REALLY hope that when I meet them on the 5th they like me in person as much as I think i'll like them. I am Lucky. Even if I don't get the job, I got to go through this experience. An experience that taught me I am a catch in the career world, and my future employer and I should have a strong relationship of give and take.

A year ago I never would have thought all of this possible. I am so happy and proud of myself, I am married to an AMAZING man. We still have the two adorable excitable puppies romping around the tree,  and i'm embarking on a new journey.  I was afraid to make a change. I was comfortable and content, I survived and I had a job that let me spend time with my family...If it were up to me, I would most likely have just stayed there and just been comfortable. I never would have seen this future for myself...but I guess that's what life is. Life throws a loop at you when you least expect it, and its what you do in that moment that makes the difference. 
And speaking of life throwing you loops... head over to Summer for some news that made me cry tears of utter joy, and made my heart skip a beat in my throat. To my dear friend, no one deserves this more than you and 2011 is going to be an AMAZING year for both of us. 
We are Lucky!
I hope each and every one of you have a monumental year, and leave it feeling a little stronger, 
a little more confident and extremely happy. No one can stop you but yourself.

Jenni

13 comments:

KatiePerk said...

Cheers lady! Loved this post! You are an inspiration! Merry 1st married Christmas and here's to many more!! xoxo

BelleinBows said...

This was such a refreshing post. Thanks, we all need to take a note of your positivity in this situation. Merry Christmas.

A Wedding Story said...

Sweet story...love your pictures!

Meri said...

Cheers to you and your holiday spirit!

Caroline said...

I love these photos!! XO

Shannon said...

I love this post and I love your positive attitude. 2011 is going to be a GREAT year!

Happy 1st Married Christmas!

Unknown said...

Oh Jenni, you are so inspiring....I know, having followed you this whole year, that you have been nothing but positive. You have always held your head high and looked at the bright side...you've been amazing.

You were a gorgeous bride and you and Spencer are an adorable couple. I am so excited for your interview and to see what 2011 will bring for you.

Merry Christmas and much love to your new little family Jenni xxxx

PS Isn't Summer's news AMAZING!!!!

Kristen said...

Lucky indeed....
wanted to stop by to wish you and Spencer and the puppy girls a super Merry Christmas!!
xoxo

Staci Edwards said...

Cheers to you and I for being so lucky! Happy for you, and wishing you happy holidays!

Sarah Rae said...

I disagree.... you aren't lucky, luck doesn't exist. Persistence and love does and those are two things you've been extremely blessed with!

bananas. said...

i love this...seeing the positive in the midst of negative is a rare thing. go you...you truly are lucky!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

You deserve all the happiness in the world lady! I'm so happy to hear that things are going so well for you!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

And now I'm crying about Summer. It's so so wonderful and I just realized that I said practically the same thing you did in my email to her. HA! Guess we all feel like she is so so deserving of this wonderful news!