May 24, 2011

Light at the end of the Rainbow

I have just arrived in Detroit, for a second week at the hospitals out here...
I'm so emotional today.
I just want to get back on that plane and go home to Spencer.
To hug him and not let go.
Luckily, I get to spend a whole week in KC next week with my pups and the hubby.

It seems like everytime I look at the news, facebook, my email or even just my phone I am reminded of what happened in Joplin. With bad weather approaching the Joplin area, as well as Kansas City, today I am on pins and needles, nervous for the next bout of Mother Nature's fury. I don't know what I will do... 
My sister is distraught. She spends her moments on the edge of her seat trying to find something to do, or hear the newest name in the death toll count. Today she is leaving my nephew with neighbors and heading into town to assist in the recovery efforts. I wish I were there to help.... Below are photos of one of my sister's best friends homes. Her husband rode out the storm in the bathtub, and when he looked up he saw sky....
It's difficult to grasp. Ever since I was little we would have 4-5 tornado warnings a year. Each month the sirens are tested... you learn to tune them out. I remember two years ago I would get angry as the news report interrupted my favorite shows... everyone in Missouri seems to have an indifference to the sirens. We know we live in a dangerous area, we know there is a good chance that a tornado will strike, but we don't imagine that it will ever actually be that bad. We have had a few over the years. One will drop down and destroy an Arby's or a soccer field in town, but that's about it They drop down, destroy a building or two and go away.  I never thought I would see the day that I saw the destruction the movies are made of so close to home....
 My nephew was born in this hospital... it looks so surreal.. like a movie set....
 Before my sister and brother-in-law bought their home they lived on the 3rd floor of these apartments...
They were a really beautiful place to live...
Main Street...

My thoughts are with Joplin, my sister and my family right now... They will be coming into KC this weekend and I can't wait to give them all a big hug and try to help them relax for just a little bit, and leave all the sorrow behind....
Give your loved ones a hug and tell them you love them...
You never know what could happen tomorrow.
Jenni


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been thinking about this town today. My prayers are with them all and your family. So sad...I hope every one somehow manages to remain strong and hopeful!

♥ Marcy ♥ said...

So sad. I can't get this poor town off my mind. The pictures are absolutely devestating... I am praying for you and your family!!!

MCW said...

So horrible, but so glad your family is ok!

Rose said...

Life can be so unpredictable and this is such an unfair tragedy. I was surprised to find that a former high school friend was living in Joplin as well. This hits way too close to home. I am glad your family is okay... they will be in my thoughts, as well as the entire Joplin community <3

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

It just breaks my heart seeing people who have had their lives destroyed like that. My thoughts and prayers go out to them all...