May 21, 2012

A new path in my journey.

The past year and a half went by in the blink of an eye. I was spending every week in a different city, trying to find my way around town. I held classrooms, went grocery shopping so I could cater my trainings and lived out of a suitcase. I loved taking photographs of newborns, and I quickly earned the nickname of "The Baby Whisperer" for my ability to calm down even the fussiest of little people. I trained photographers, took beautiful photos that adorn the walls of families all across the U.S. and held photoshoots (seen below) for marketing materials at our headquarters.
 At times it was really nice... but everytime I left home I felt sad. I missed my husband, and I of course missed my furbabies.


Leaving at 4am was the easiest. I was on auto-pilot, so when the alarm went off I got up, got ready, grabbed my bag and went to the airport. Leaving at 8am or later, when I was conscious was harder... I often found myself with tears on my cheeks as I drove off to board a plane, wishing I could have stayed in bed and snuggled just 5 more minutes.

My co-workers were incredible. They were my support. The people I called when I got lonely. I never thought I would develop such a close relationship with people whom I never got to see, or consider my boss my friend. Every 6 months or so I got to see them, and the week would be incredible as we got to work together. 

Ok, so i'm being a little vague... but i'm sure you may have begun to guess that i'm no longer working as a National trainer... So here goes...

The last week in March I was supposed to be in L.A. I had my class organized, I had a beautiful hotel booked and I was ready to go. Two weeks before I was set to leave my boss contacted my co-workers and I with great news. She told me that she had gotten approval for us to have a spring meeting, and we would get to all travel to St. Louis for a week of dinner, drinks, bonding...and some work. :) We all re-scheduled our flights and were set to arrive at the same time. Our planes came in, we got together, we grabbed some lunch and we headed to the Corporate offices. Once we arrived we began to set-up for the meeting, and looking for our boss Kitty ...but we couldn't find her. Suddenly the Pres of the company showed up and said she would be starting our meeting... long story short, they eliminated the entire department and immediately confiscated our computers, phones, etc. We were then put on planes, in different terminals of the airport and sent home without getting to say good-bye. My boss had also been let go that morning as she prepped for our arrival. We were treated horribly, and it was all a ploy to get rid of my boss. The next day they opened 3 new positions and urged us all to apply.  I spent weeks fretting over the job, and I ended up applying. I would have gotten the position, but they refused to work around my school schedule. (I have class Tuesday nights in the fall)

I'm ok with the change, and I feel better about it every single day. I miss my co-workers horribly... but I love seeing my husband more than I miss them. It's been wonderful to wake-up in my own bed. I cook dinner, rather than being forced to eat out every night. To go to the gym, and come home to my own shower. I watch my puppies play, and know that I don't have to leave and fly somewhere else in the morning. 

My position gave me a lot, nd I will always appreciate it for how it changed my life. I have grown up a lot in the past 2 years, and being independence in different cities has a lot to do with that. I have respect for who I am and what I have accomplished. I am dreaming big and I know that I can do anything I set my mind to.

Right now, I am in the process of interviewing for a few marketing positions. I recently finished my spring semester (Straight A's) and I am enjoying summer break with only 2 semesters to go until I get my M.S. I am spending my days doing to the gym, cleaning the house, tanning on the porch and reading books. I am seeing my friends, who I sadly have neglected due to never being in town. All in all... I am enjoying myself and loving where I am. I know that the next step in my career journey is right around the corner, and in the meantime I love being a wife and a puppy mommy. :)
Jenni

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sheesh, that is horrible! It's as if you all had done something terribly wrong. & Getting you all there thinking you were going to have a great week together? WOOF. I am glad you are pulling through it! Unemployment is the suck. Good Luck with your fall semester, lady!